And The Road Becomes My Bride...

There's no place like home. Well, that's what some people say! Unfortunately I don't really have a 'home'. I've moved around all my life, which has become the norm for me. As such, I haven't really felt settled in London these last 10 years. So I've packed my bags and am heading off around Asia, where I was born, for a while, and possibly set up camp for a few years. You can follow my travels and adventures here!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Up till now...

Click here to see the photos

Sorry it's been such a long time everyone! I've just been really lazy I guess, and since there's always somthing going on here in Koh Tao, I never seem to get my butt into gear to write something on my blog! Also, the internet is damn slow here as it's a remote island and we use satellite for internet, it's tough to upload photos and costs a bomb with internet charges in the cafes!!
So how's life going for me at the moment? How are my travels? Well, I think the travelling part is pretty much over for the moment. I've been in Koh Tao, Thailand for nearly 5 months now! I'm now a fully qualified scuba diving instructor! I finished my course shortly before my birthday, so there was quite a bit of partying! You'll also see photos of my snorkel test at the end of my divemaster course shortly before I started my IDC (Instructor Development Course).
You see, life is kind of different for me now. I'm taking a break from the 'normal' life that most people have, working in front of a computer everyday, working 9 to 5. Since Sev and I broke up, I really have no reason now to go back, or finish my 'travels'. So I've decided to stay here for a while, possibly a year or so. Work is slow at the moment as an instructor. I work behind the bar too which covers my rent, and any courses I do is extra cash to pay for food and drink. Unfortunately it's low season at the monent, and I've only done a few scuba reviews (refresher course for people who haven't dived for a while), and one day Discover Scuba Diving courses. I actually have my first Open Water course tomorow with 2 students which pays well! Looking forward to that. There's something of a hierarchy here though, so obviously the full-time, long term instructors get the students first, and any extra or if they're busy, come to the freelancers like me. I will be going around the other dive shops too asking for work. Just need to weather out the next two months till January, when high season kicks in again.
Other than that, daily life is pretty much the same day to day, but it never gets boring. There's always the same crowd of friends here, working at Ban's, but you also get the customers coming through, and it's amazing meeting so many different people. I've made some really good friends and met some lovely people working here. It just cannot compare to life back in London, doing the usual 'respectable' work. I don't know how I could even go back to it after all this...
So yeah, life has changed a lot for me. It's a big decision, it feels weird at the moment, especially with a big bill to pay off here at the moment (about 600 quid!), but I'm paying it off slowly with the money I'm earning here (albeit slowly!!). So again, I'm kind of stuck here anyway until I pay it off, but I'm planning on staying anyway, so it kind of works out!
Anything else special? Yeah! I went back to Hong Kong a few weeks ago for my mum's 60th with Tsaki, a good friend who's also an instructor here in Koh Tao. That was quite a fun week, with the theme of my mum's birthday being early 20th century chinese. My sister also proudly announced she's pregnant on my mum's birthday, which, as the photos will show, made my mum more than happy with tears!! Can't believe I'm going to be an uncle next year!! I still felt young turning 29 in September, but it suddenly feels old now I'm going to be an uncle!!
Plans for Christmas? Going back to Hong Kong for a few weeks where I'll meet up with Kosh who's staying over then heading into China for a well deserved break for himself. God knows I know what it's like, living this life now and him still stuck in the City working in front of a computer all day! In fact, I feel sorry for you all, and you should all save dosh and do what I'm doing!! You won't regret it!
Back to Thailand in January again, continuing my new life. Hope you all find time to come and visit! Miss you all loads you know, that's the only thing that I miss a lot. I miss my friends (yes, and I still miss Sev too), but we can't all stay together for all our lives. We all make decisions that change ourselves, and although I thought about it before travelling, I've gone and done it due to things that have happened to me during my travels, and yeah, I am still nervous about it, but I'm enjoying it so far, and apart from the stuttering financial start to the new life, it all looks rosy for the future!
Come and see me soon all of you!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dom, good to know your still alive. You started your free life, we started to become 'respectable', Gregor is going to become a nurse, Tino is working in a kindergarden and Iam studying in Erfurt to be a bachelor of "bla"...

enjoy your time and don't give up your ideals of life. we us again, sometimes somewhere.

Greetings from
Clemens

Thu Nov 09, 10:29:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dom,

Great to see you back online finally! Lovely to spend time with you in HK too, funny I see more of you in HK than Thailand! And you know, there are plenty of fun/great jobs in Bangkok which would allow you to hit the beaches & dive and keep up your passions if you ever get really stuck in a financial rut, plus you'll have Kriss, me & your niece/nephew to hang out with! Too bad I can't dive for the next 7 months! Lots of love,

Sis x

Fri Nov 10, 04:02:00 AM 2006  
Blogger die_wg said...

congrats on your dive instructor dom! and congrats on being stuck in southeast asia. believe me, you dont wanna be where i am right now: berlin. its cold and i go to school every day. nursing school. but i live with a cool flatsharing project and i am vegan now so thats really cool. but i do want to get back to the andamans...

anyways. i might be going out tonight an spend the equivalent of a weeks living in india on booze and music... :)

have a nice time doing what you love in a place that is paradise....

gregor the crazy german

Fri Nov 10, 07:48:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dom, Ling here...was wicked to catch up with you in HK, almost like old london times(will they ever return?).

Looking forward to a few beers over xmas, hopefully work won't be as busy then...who knows maybe one day, I'll hang up and my suit and don my backpack once more? Wait and see!

Mon Nov 13, 10:19:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one mate... good IDC photo :)

Look forward to being back in Jan... Jaigeybombs away



Jon

Sun Dec 03, 01:11:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dom. What's happening? Where is an update?

Cheers,
Alex.

Thu Jan 25, 01:02:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dom, just thought It'd be cool to touch base... But then I don't have an email address for you... Hope you check your blog from time to time...

Jérôme (jmuffat webphotomag com)

Wed Feb 07, 03:13:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home