And The Road Becomes My Bride...

There's no place like home. Well, that's what some people say! Unfortunately I don't really have a 'home'. I've moved around all my life, which has become the norm for me. As such, I haven't really felt settled in London these last 10 years. So I've packed my bags and am heading off around Asia, where I was born, for a while, and possibly set up camp for a few years. You can follow my travels and adventures here!

Monday, June 19, 2006

Land of Contradictions

It's my last day here in India. It's hard to believe I've spent 4 months here, the time seems to have gone by so quickly. It's true what people say, that times goes quickly when you're having fun and enjoying oneself, and I surely have. It's been a whirlwind experience, seeing so much, doing so much. I've had the two best experiences of my life here, diving in the Andamans , discovering reefs and trekking the Himalayas, seeing Kanchenjunga, the world's third tallest peak. Both have happened only in the last month or so, and it seems fitting that I should leave India on such a high note. India is certainly a country I'll visit again. I still have to see Varanasi, Amritsar, Rishikesh, Dharamsala and so much more, and I'm looking forward to coming back soon.
Looking back at my time here, there are certainly points that I've felt awkward about, or not enjoyed, both personally and travel wise. There's also so much I've loved and cherished. It really is a land of balance, of extremes, of wholeness, and it affects you too, as though all the rules that apply here force themselves upon your mind, sucking you into the land that is India. It's a place of so much love, but also so much hate. It's a place of great riches, but also of extreme poverty. Of unbelievable natural beauty, and unspeakable destruction. A land of total tolerance, and rash impatience. Of union, and diversity. Of peace and fighting. Of acceptance, and rejection. Of bureaucracy, and baksheesh bribes. Of inefficient efficiency.
It's a land of contradictions, but hey, it works, in it's weird and glorious way. It works in a 'held together with superglue, string, cellotape and spit' sort of way, as though everything should fall apart at any time, but it doesn't, and somehow continues moving on. India is a country you could never compare to another in any way, shape or form. It is totally unique, every aspect of its culture and people so different to others, not only other countries, but also to itself. Such a spaghetti mess of religions, races, languages, traditions, landscapes, it seems it's not even sure who it is itself, but there's one thing that does hold it all together. Being Indian. And of that they are so proud, whether they are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Parsi, Jewish, Catholic or atheists, they all work together for the common good of India, each one taking their share of holding some part of it in place, making sure it operates and runs, albeit like a rusty old 1980 Vauxhall Cavalier engine that's been worked too hard and long, with water steaming out the radiator, low on grease and oil.
My best friend Kowshik Podder (Kosh), a Bengali, will understand my comparisons above, and I feel I understand him even better after my visit here. You're right Kosh, India is so f*cked up, and even as I spend my last day here, India will leave its mark on me in this way, my feelings contradictory about this land. I love so much of it and hate so much of it at the same time. My feeling about it swings between the two, always changing. And that's why I'll come back, because it's full of surprises, and makes one experience a whole range of emotions. I don't think there's any other place in the world that can do that.
I'll miss you India, but only till next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home