And The Road Becomes My Bride...

There's no place like home. Well, that's what some people say! Unfortunately I don't really have a 'home'. I've moved around all my life, which has become the norm for me. As such, I haven't really felt settled in London these last 10 years. So I've packed my bags and am heading off around Asia, where I was born, for a while, and possibly set up camp for a few years. You can follow my travels and adventures here!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Lost in Translation


Here I am in Bangkok finally! It's nice to get out of Hong Kong. All the high rise skyscrapers just get a bit too much after some time. It's almost like every building in HK is a phallic symbol of someone's wealth or pride. "Look, the building I work/live in is bigger than yours!". Either that, or at least it's like a bigger middle finger to your next door neighbour's.
I finally feel like I'm away! Not totally, as I come here quite often! Staying here at the 5 star Siam City Hotel which belongs to my sister's in-laws. Very nice! Ok, so not really backpacking, staying in a hostel, etc, at the moment, but it's free (thanks to the Sukosol family! Much appreciated!).
Not 5 minutes in Bangkok and someone is already trying to rip me off. Got into a taxi at the airport, where you have to pay a 50 baht surcharge, and the cabbie tells me once we're moving:

"Sir, there 100 baht surcharge."
"Errr, no there isn't, it's 50 baht."
"Yes, but this new taxi! Older taxi 50 baht. You in new taxi, 100 baht!"
"Umm, no... I've always paid 50 baht for all taxis."
"You not first time Bangkok?"
"No. I've been here many times."
*silence*

50 baht paid. Nice try mate.

Some other cabbie also tried to charge me a pre-arranged fee of 100 baht (not running the meter) for a ride I knew cost only 60.

Went out for dinner with my sister and her friend Irene that night. Was supposed to see Kriss (my brother-in-law) play a gig in Siam Square, but we didn't quite make it! For those of you who don't know, Kriss is a mega rockstar in Thailand as the singer for his band, Pru.
After dinner, we headed off to the Bed Supperclub, a very trendy club with a lovely restaurant where you lie in beds to eat! Check out the photos.
Carried on afterwards to a VERY Thai bar, full of indie types. There was a big group we met up with full of music industry people, band members, critics, etc. Barely any of them spoke English! Mel and Kriss were heavily engrossed in conversation with some friends, and I sat there not understanding anything anyone said to me! You kind of sit there with your beer, laughing when others do, nodding your head. Everyone was pretty drunk. Felt very much like some of the scenes from the movie "Lost In Translation", especially the karaoke scene.... I'm going to learn more Thai here I vow! So far this time, I've learnt how to ask for an ashtray and where the toilets are.... This time round, I know NOT to ask for "Singha nom" (beer tits), but to ask for "Singha yai" (big beer). Knowing what "nom yai" means doesn't necessarily indicate the adjective is the first word. I was trying to be clever in Koh Tao last year.

Saturday, just chilled out a bit, did some shopping and got some of my innoculations at the BNH hospital. Unfortunately, I have to stay in Bangkok for a week now for a course of injections. At least the multi-coloured cartoon bandaids made up for it!
In the evening, Mel and I went to a nice chill out restaurant/bar called Spring Summer which has a lovely garden out front where you can sit on these huge beanbags by a garden bar. Nice food, wine, but most importantly, a chocolate fondue!

On Sunday, Kriss, Mel and I drove out of town to spend the day in Ayuthaya, the old capital of Siam before Bangkok. It was founded in 1350, and ransacked by the Burmese during an invasion in 1767. It was one of the most amazing cities of its time, populated by over 1 million people. Foreign visitors claimed it was one of the most illustrious cities in the world. It's a shame the Burmese destroyed so many of the temples and Buddha effigies there during the looting.
Some of the temples (wats) there are amazing. Almost all are in ruins, but that creates so much of the magic there. It just wouldn't be the same seeing them in all their glory in their heyday. Sure, they'd be spectacular, but there's such an air of mystery when they're all crumbled. Leaves much more to the imagination. You only have to look at some of the restored temples, or the ones that survived to feel the difference.
We had a lovely lunch by the side of the river before heading to our last temple, Wat Chaiwatthanarm, just after sunset. Its was the most beautiful temple I've ever seen. Sure, I'm still to see Angkor Wat, the Jain temples in India, etc, but so far, this blew my mind. Shame about the mosquito hordes after sunset, and the mass of Thai teenagers who recognised Kriss and mobbed him for photos and autographs when we arrived!

So I'm stuck in Bangkok till next Saturday. Sorry if I don't take or show any photos of the main sights here. This is my fourth or fifth time here, so I've done it all! You'll have to ask someone else if you want to see photos of the Grand Palace and temples here in Bangkok! I'm not going to all those places again!
I'll be off to Chiang Mai and some of the northern towns and villages next week. I'll post again when I get there!
Oh, and before any of you ask, NO I HAVEN'T GONE TO ANY TITTY BARS OR MET ANY LADYBOYS! ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Billy Abbott said...

"Oh, and before any of you ask, NO I HAVEN'T GONE TO ANY TITTY BARS OR MET ANY LADYBOYS"

So that's the plan for this evening then?

Mon Jan 23, 01:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Dominic Giles said...

I'll see you in your bar later Billy... ;)

Mon Jan 23, 02:03:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the hell are you doing all the way over there we need you here for Chinese New Year.

just no thoughts for your friends eh?

hope the ladyboys look after you well

Mon Jan 23, 02:29:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home