And The Road Becomes My Bride...

There's no place like home. Well, that's what some people say! Unfortunately I don't really have a 'home'. I've moved around all my life, which has become the norm for me. As such, I haven't really felt settled in London these last 10 years. So I've packed my bags and am heading off around Asia, where I was born, for a while, and possibly set up camp for a few years. You can follow my travels and adventures here!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Intermission

This is only going to be a short entry to let you know the latest.

Currently in Jaisalmer, where there's only dial-up access. It's on the edge of the Great Thar Desert, towards the Pakistan border. Life here is very simple. Was supposed to go on a camel trip to the desert for 3 days this morning, but I woke up with a severe fever and a very bad case of the runs which made me wake up every hour. I've self-diagnosed myself with Giardia from some med books I brought along with me. Prescribed myself a nice mix of Ofloxacin, Metronidazole and Lactobacillus pills I bought from a pharmacy here. So I had to put off the desert trip for a day. Probably a good thing too since it's pouring with rain and thunderstorms. Quite rare for Rajasthan where there's been a severe drought for years!

I'll be in Jodhpur in a few days time, after the 3 day desert trip. I hope I make it! I'll have broadband there where I can finally upload the 140 photos I still have from Jaipur and Jaisalmer. It's almost impossible to upload them from dial-up as it'll take days!

I must admit, this is the first time I've really missed 'home'. I miss a soft comfortable bed, clean sheets, fluffy pillow. I miss clean working toilets, baths, clean streets not covered in cow dung (made worse and slippery by the rain!). I miss technology, pubs, quiet streets (yes, quiet, even in London, compared to here!), organisition, cleanliness, a regular job, my friends, Sev, my family. Maybe it's because I'm severely ill. Maybe I'm beginning to realise what I had back in London!

Perhaps it's because I've been a way for the longest time so far from somewhere I called home. Maybe after a bit longer, I'll get used to it. But I know I'll still miss it subconsiously.

Anyhow, I'd better go. Intermittent power blackouts and phone line breakdowns wreak havoc on emailing and blogging here. I'll give you all a more full update when I get to Jodhpur. Lots to tell you about. Sorry for no photos.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad those books came in handy, Dom. Giardia is no fun. Hope you'll feel better real soon.

Sun Mar 12, 01:44:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dom-Dom,

Love the sunrise shot! So you managed to get a few excellent ones before the bugger packed in completely eh? Have you bought a new camera yet?

Sorry to hear you're ill, I was too, it happens to anyone who spends more than a few days in India. Drink lots of bottled water to flush the icky bugs out/keep hydrated & replenish with the vits & salts I gave you. I hope your campsite is comfy with a decent loo???

Laughed at your Bollywood experience - speaking of feet did the Taj Mahal pong?? :) Think the stuff they chew & spit is betel nut, v. common in SEAsia. It gives you a buzz - I tried some in Taiwan once, my colleague convinced me saying it was truck drivers' herbal chewing gum - YUCK - was bouncing off the walls for a few hours shooting pearl tea balls out of my nostrils for a laff whilst our boyband was onstage!!

All's well here, end of term exams next week then I'm 'off' for 6 months. Will be working backstage at the MTV Asia awards for a week in May then M&R are coming to Phuket with us for my bday. Also busy helping Kriss get some international gigs (he may perform a funky, modern Ramayana at the Lincoln Centre in NYC next year!).

Enjoy the rest of your cathartic trip, after all this is over, it'll probably dawn on you where home truly is...

Love ya, M x p.s. If you need a clean place to stay in Udaipur or Jodhpur let me know as I can recommend!

Mon Mar 13, 09:20:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home